It has been a while since I started this blog, and my first post is a tribute to movie mothers. Now, it’s the dads who get the spotlight as I comprise a list of my favorite movie Dads. The movies I included give a clue on what to watch with your Dad this special day. Beware: tissues will be sold out after this.
15. BADONG RIVERA (Fernando Poe Jr. in Isusumbong Kita sa Tatay ko)
Two superstars collaborated in this comedy about a father-daughter story of dependence on each other. Bonus points goes to the undeniable natural chemistry of both Santos and the late FPJ, who’ll really pass as a real life father and daughter.
14. CHRIS GARDNER (Will Smith in The Pursuit of Happyness)
Will Smith gives an Oscar nominated performance in this drama biopic of a father who balances on the custody of his son while trying to find a break on his professional endeavor.
13. STANLEY PHILIPPS (John Cusack in Grace is Gone)
A father takes his two daughters on a road trip as he finds a way to break the news that their mother has been killed in Iraq. One of John Cusack’s finest performances.
12. ROYAL TENENBAUM (Gene Hackman in The Royal Tenenbaums)
An eccentric father who left his family comes back after many years and announces that he has a terminal sickness. With this theme, be surprised that this is far away from being a tearjerker.
11. FLETCHER REEDE (Jim Carrey in Liar, Liar)
A father who works as a lawyer, faces the toughest challenge of his life: he must tell the truth for 24 hours. Is this a challenge worth sacrificing for?
10. GERRY (Albert Martinez in Magnifico)
Imagine being the father of the community’s most loved child. Then imagine building a coffin, only to find out that the same son will be the one to be put inside it. Yes, you can get that tissue now.
9. LAMBERTO MAGGIORANI (Antonio Ricci in Bicycle Thieves)
The story of a poor father, together with his son, in their search for a stolen bicycle.
8. MARLIN (Albert Brooks in Finding Nemo)
The adventure of a father clown fish, doing everything, to find for his missing clown.. errr.. son. Sounds fishy eh? 🙂
7. PACO OLIVEROS (Soliman Cruz in Ang Pagdadalaga ni Maximo Oliveros)
When you’re the head of an all alpha male criminal family, the last thing you’ll want to have is a gay son. But Paco is different, he treats all his sons regardless of gender and orientation. Very commendable!
6. GUIDO OREFICE (Roberto Benigni in La vita è bella)
A happy-go-lucky father hides his sona s much as possible in a tale of survival during the World War II.
5. WILL FREEMAN (Hugh Grant in About a Boy)
A carefree, and immature young man learns the best lesson of his life through the eyes of a 12 year old boy.
4. DANIEL HILLARD/MRS. EUPHEGENIA DOUBTFIRE (Robin Williams in Mrs. Doubtfire)
Reminiscent of the classic Dolphy movies, this gender bender movie deals about a young actor who wants to be close with his son even if it takes for him… to be a her.
3. SAM DAWSON (Sean Penn in I Am Sam)
When Sam Dawson, a mentally retard father, fights for the custody of his seven year old daughter, he managed to teach his lawyer some lessons on life, and love as well.
2. EDWARD BLOOM (Ewan McGregor, and Albert Finney in Big Fish)
A man, already on his deathbed, tells his son how colorful and mythical his life is.
1. MOSES PRAY (Ryan O’Neal in Paper Moon)
Set in the era of the Great Depression, a con man forms an unforgettable bonding with a small girl even if he is really unsure whether the little girl is his own daughter. What made this more effective is that it stars real life father and daughter Ryan and Tatum O’Neal.
That’s it everybody! Enjoy this wonderful day with your own fathers! Happy Father’s Day to my own Daddy! And to all the fathers in the world as well. 🙂