The nominations for the 54th Grammy Awards were unveiled yesterday, and boy did I do terrible with my predictions. Most of my “next in line” were the ones nominated, though I must say I did well in my Pop Album and Pop Solo performance getting 5/5 both. Anyway, today’s reactions is divided into three parts.
* Bon Iver gets three general field nominations! Just when people are predicting that he’ll be snubbed and that his nominations aside from BNA were just wishful thinking, he gets in both for ROTY/SOTY!
* Adele getting six nominations! And there’s a big chance she can sweep them all!
*Robyn’s 2/2 nom in the Dance field. And a large chance she wins both of them.
* Coldplay sweeping three noms. This is a god start for another great Grammy year next year when their album is already eligible.
* A very competitive Rap/Sung Collaboration category. And while it’s All of the Lights that will likely win, What’s My Name, Motivation, and the snubbed Lighters deserve it more.
* Blake Shelton’s three nods. It’s his breakout year at the Grammys! Sweeping the entire Country field with Solo Performance, Song, and Album nominations!
* A short but definitely interesting Musical Theatre Album category with Book of Mormon likely winning.
* Christina Aguilera’s 2 Grammy nods! What’s better is she gets whole and solo credits for the Burlesque nomination.
* Fleet the Foxes getting a nomination! Same goes for The Civil Wars!
* The Album of the Year category. When you nominate Kanye in Song of the Year and Bon Iver in ROTY/SOTY, you both snub them in AOTY!?!? And what’s up with FOUR(!) pop albums there. Adele is probably the only one deserving of a nod there. Taylor, Kanye, Bon Iver, and Jill Scott should have taken the other four noms.
* Lack of love for Foster the People. I know you like The Cave, and it fits more with Grammy’s taste, but Pumped Up Kicks is a worthy ROTY/SOTY nominee. Call it the “Dog Days Are Over” this year.
* They love some Bruno Mars eh? Six nominations this year plus seven nominations last year. Wow. Plus getting in AOTY/SOTY/ROTY. Had he not won for Just the Way You Are, you know he’s the frontrunner for BNA as well.
* Why can’t they move on past Carrie Underwood. Mama’s Song is a non-existent record that had no imapct, yet she still gets in for Country Performance on a slimmer categories!?!?
* JILL SCOTT! We all say Beyonce is the biggest hurdle, yet both of them were snubbed there.
* The Band Perry only getting one nom.
* The technical difficulties at yesterday’s Grammy ceremonies: NIKI Minaj and Doo Wops and Hooligsns.
* All four The Voice coaches received noms today. Blake Shelton and Cee Lo Green with three, Christina Aguilera with two, and Adam Levine with one. We now know who’s the boss.
* Lady Gaga’s Born This Way not nominated for Short Form Music Video, yet Weird Aly Yankovic’s parody “Perform This Way” got one.
* Third consecutive nomination for True Blood’s soundtrack.
* Kanye West lead with seven noms, followed with six by Bruno Mars, Adele, and Foo Fighters. Five went to Lil’ Wayne.
* Amy Winehouse gets a posthumous nomination in pop Collaboration for Body and Soul with Tony Bennett.
* Britney Spears gets zero nomination for her, arguably, best album. Justin Bieber gets the same for his so-so acoustic album.
* Rihanna and Adele joins Katy Perry, Taylor Swift, Lady Gaga, and Beyonce as AOTY nominees. The only people left with no AOTY among the current female singers were Britney Spears, Christina Aguilera, Pink, Kelly Clarkson,and Shakira.
* The following are Grammy nominees this year: Joel Grey, Zooey Deschanel, Danielle Radcliffe, Scott Rudin, John Larroquette, Patton Oswald, Louis CK, Kathy Griffin, Tina Fey, Betty White, Val Kilmer, Steve Martin
So you, what are your favorite Grammy nods this year? 🙂