TV’s biggest night has officially ended yesterday, and as we look forward to a new one, let’s take one last look of what were the highlights and the not so high ones from last year’s ABC telecast.
* The opening sketch that involved female Emmy nominees Connie Britton, Zooey Deschanel, and Emmy winners Martha Plimpton and Kathy Bates. Between the nude cake eater Lena Dunham and Christina Hendricks’ duck face, this one is for keeps.
* The tribute to that disastrous reality hosts in 2008 a.k.a the last time ABC hosted the telecast.
* Presenters Amy Poehler, Melissa McCarthy, Tina Fey, and Azis Ansari’s scene stealing lines.
* Homeland! Woot woot! All its wins were richly deserved even though it means a shutout for Mad Men.
* Julianne Moore finally winning a televised award. As if an actress of her caliber still needs a validation of her outstanding work, but it’s sweet to see her take the stage.
* Claire Danes. Call me a new fanboy now, but damn she rocked. “Mandy Patinkin.. HOLLA” are my three favorite words now.
* Aaron Paul winning. If there’s someone who’ll break the 16 year trend in hsi category, it really should be him. Even though that means no Giancarlo Esposito and Jared Harris victories.
* Julia Louis Dreyfus. She’s on her way to join the likes of Mary Tyler Moore, Cloris Leachman, Bea Arthur, and Betty White. Three Emmys for three different regular roles.
* Dear Maggie Smith, I love you so much, but at least have the decency to pretend that you care about these things. Two consecutive wins, two consecutive MIAs. And it’s not as if you were also present when you won nine years ago for My House in Umbria. HOLLA!
* Jon Cryer. Even he is shocked. His tape might have done the work for him, but come on.
* The uninspired wins. Eric Stonestreet? Yes he’s good. Julie Bowen? Yes she’s good. But please. There are also other countless good performances in their categories who haven’t won yet. It ended to awkward reactions from them with Eric highlighting Jesse and Julie pimping Sofia.
* VOTERS LAZINESS ending to rubberstamping. The Amazing Race for the ninth time? Daily Show for the tenth time? Even staff are already tired of them.
* Jimmy Kimmel’s supposed biggest prank of all time backfired on them as it fizzled faster than a prostitute’s skirt when even presenters Connie Britton and Hayden Panettiere find it stupid.
* The Jimmy Kimmel In Memoriam segment. Really? How awkward is it to introduce the actual In Memoriam segment later in the show after you made fun of it.
* With their losses, it’s already hopeless for Amy Poehler, Michael C. Hall, Jon Hamm, Christina Hendricks, Christine Baranski, and Larry David to still win an Emmy in the future.
* Louis CK’s role was to play bored when presenting the first Emmy of the night, but he actually took it to another level when it seems he was really bored to not even announce the winners.
That’s it I guess. Until next Emmy year. Here’s wishing Amy Poehler and Sofia Vergara win next year.